Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Matt Hogan



Matt Hogan is a practicing internist who had to slog through medical school and residency before finding the time to pursue his other interests, including sleeping, eating foods that don't come in a can, and writing fiction. As a child in Philadelphia, Matt fell in love with both science and fiction, consuming every medium from which they came. From textbooks to movies, his life was filled with things both real and imagined, and he dreamed of one day blending them together. So when his real pursuits finally allowed, he started to imagine again. Matt currently lives and works in Atlanta and loves being able to pursue two of the things that make him the most happy (being a father of two, however, he still doesn't get much sleep).


Why are you the next favorite author?
We all face an unknown future. I take reality as we know it—the good, the bad, and the ugly—and dream up the world that it might become.

When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?
When I was fifteen, my oldest brother was in a high-speed, head-on collision. He survived, but the driver of the other car did not. She was a professional, a wife, and a mother of two young children. It was all my family could think about for months, and, eventually, it tore us apart.
As my parents went through a tough divorce, I retreated into my brain and started to read everything I got my hands on. Initially, I gravitated toward medical texts, trying to figure out ways to help my brother as he made a slow recovery. This is when I first dreamed of becoming a doctor. Eventually, however, I broadened my scope and started reading fiction, biographies, comic books, and newspapers. One particularly tough day, I wrote something down, mostly just to get my emotions out in a constructive way. I instantly loved how cathartic it was. 
From high school into college, I continued to write, mostly just for me. I had a few small works published locally, but the demands of medicine soon sidelined those pursuits. When I finally got through residency, I found time to write again. Since then, medicine has been my path of intellectual growth, while writing has been my creative and emotional outlet. It’s undoubtedly the best avenue for my fears and frustrations, but it’s also the best way for me to communicate what I love about this world and the people in it.
Mr. November was borne out of those two realities – science and sentiment. It takes a concept as fanciful as time travel and uses real scientific principals and discovery to make it seem plausible. When my wife first read the book, she jokingly asked if I really knew how to travel through time because the science was so real. Interwoven with all those realities and facts, however, is a story rooted in something we all struggle with – the search for self. Who am I, and why am I who I am? As a result, there really is something for everyone in the book, including emotion, family, action, drama, mystery, and, of course, science fiction.
My brother still bares the emotional and physical scars of that day long ago. They’re constant reminders of how life can change, for better and for worse, in an instant. It’s comforting to think that we were meant to be who we are. But in all honesty, I’ll never know whether I would’ve become a doctor or a writer had that accident never occurred.

You can find Mr. November on the following sites:

You can find/message Matt Hogan at:

@MattHogan48