Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Writing Journey



AS LONG AS I CAN remember I’ve been a story-teller.  When I was a child I would sit with notebook and pen and write the stories filling my head with new worlds, characters and realms of existence.  Sometimes I would tell my sisters bedtime stories about mystical creatures and magical heroes on fantastic quests.  I would sit on the stairs at school writing stories and living in my own little world.  My friends would sneak up behind me, take my notebooks and sit next to me, reading the story coming to life under my pen.  There is something magical about creating other worlds and other lives and watching them come to life on paper.

            I decided early in my career that I was going to become a Science Fiction and Fantasy author.  Although I am a veracious reader and read anything I can get my hands on, Science Fiction and Fantasy has been and always will be my favorite.  When I chose these genres I didn’t realize how difficult it would be to be accepted as a mainstream artist.  There seemed to be a built-in prejudice towards the concept of supernatural creatures, magic and seemingly unrealistic scientific feats. 


Throughout my life my number one goal, the path I always wanted to pursue, was to become a published author.  I didn’t realize the difficult path I had ahead of me or the challenges and sacrifices I would need to make in order to pursue my dream.  Although I defined myself as an author for most of my life my first book wasn’t published until my fortieth birthday.  In my journey to join the world of the published I made mistakes, poor choices and rushed a little too fast.  I experienced a strong learning curve in the process and so I decided I needed to compile this book as a way to guide others in the pursuit of their dreams to be published. 

There are many steps to becoming a published author.  A person doesn’t wake up one morning and say, “I think I’m going to write a book today.”  Writing and publishing a book is a process; a long, difficult, painful process.  However, the process is worth it.  When you have your finished book in your hands and can turn the pages and smell the fresh, crisp, clean smell of paper and ink a thrill goes up your spine and you feel invincible. 
Tell your writing journey...