Friday, March 24, 2017

C.M. Estopare


Why are you THE Next Favorite Author?
Tragedy and bittersweet endings are key to my stories. I create worlds that you can emotionally invest in.
           
When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?     
At ten, I filled notebooks with half finished stories. At fifteen, I entered (and scored second place!) a handful of short story competitions for teens. At twenty, I enlisted in the military and lost my pen for a while but picked it back up in Korea during a particularly hard deployment.

Life is tragedy. I learned this while serving. A particular person that I cannot name taught me this especially. A girl quick to smile and laugh and play. A young woman brought to the brink of explosion because of how she looked and the way she acted. She was an unlikable person. And I don’t say this because I disliked her--she was my friend. And a good one at that. No, I say this because a long list of people could not understand her, and therefore they hated her. Sought to break her down and build her up again in their image, because the image she had carried (note the had) was not got enough for them. Not good enough for the military.

In my mind’s eye, I see her hanging. Teetering by a belt in a dingy korean shower stall. Fingertips blue. Lips open. Eyes poking out. I won’t end her story on a sad note, because the night before the accident she was happy. Glorious and shining and sparkling and happy. And that is how I will always remember her.

She is why I write.

About the Author
C.M. Estopare is a full time writer, avid reader, and yoga enthusiast. When not reading or writing, she’s exploring with her puppy, Duke, and her awesome husband. 

Buy my books here

Like me on Facebook

Follow me on Twitter!

I post weekly short stories on my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment