Tuesday, March 7, 2017

B Fleetwood


Author of Chroma: Imogen’s Secret (Book 1 of the Chroma trilogy)

Why are you THE Next Favorite Author?
My writing crosses genres: mystery, sci- fi, adventure, & romance, with believable characters and a quirky concept.

What makes your book stand out from the crowd
Can you imagine an extra sensory perception that enabled you to clearly see if someone was lying? A means of determining what a person was feeling or thinking? Imogen, my sixteen-year-old heroine, has this skill – she can read Chroma, the normally invisible aura of colours we all unknowingly emit. The first of the trilogy, this is a mystery / sci-fi adventure as Imogen sets out to uncover the truth of why she is so different, before a dangerous enemy closes in.

Why ‘Chroma’? Well, I always thought it would be brilliant asset if you could ‘see’ a lie (how would politicians go on?). Body language can betray something of what we are thinking, but I wanted to invent a way to see through a person’s ‘outer layer’ to their true feelings. As the story developed, these Chromatic skills became a central part of the narrative. As readers of Harry Potter can memorise spells and the basics of curses, I want my readers to know which colour means what, and assimilate the concept of Chroma, as naturally as they would the magic in JK Rowling’s stories.

On the one hand, ‘Chroma’ is a tale of fantasy, but on the other, I have endeavoured to make the story - and the science within it - appear real and believable. I am a fan of science fiction ‘proper’, which is grounded in fact. Add to this that my hubby is an engineer, plus I like to keep abreast of ‘futuristic’ style technologies, and the result is that all my gadgets and gismos are within the realms of the possible, no matter how improbable. A reviewer wrote that my ‘DE’, or ‘Data Encounter’ was “like Google on steroids!” That put such a smile on my face.

About the Author
Becky Fleetwood lives in the Northwest UK with her engineering hubby. 

Her love of writing started when she won a large quantity of chocolate in a Cadbury's writing competition, at the age of 8.

At the age of 20, she fell in love with Anne McCaffrey's "Dragonflight" series, in particular the female heroine, Lessa. Since then, she has burned with an ambition to write a novel with a similar female protagonist - someone who was strong, analytical and did not see the world in black and white. It is from this that Chroma was born.




Twitter: @bfleetwoodhome




1 comment:

  1. Great premise for your novel! I'll have to go check it out!

    ReplyDelete