Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Stephen J. Wolf


Why are you THE Next Favorite Author?
Logical magic, exciting adventures, lovable characters; and that’s my regular life! I write tales I want to be a part of.

What do you like to do when you're not writing?
I have always been a fan of fantasy, and that includes playing the role of wizards and warriors in video games, such as Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest. When I play a game, I tend to gravitate toward those that have detailed, interesting stories. Graphics are nice, but I still love the solo journey of the nameless hero in the original Dragon Warrior game that was released on the NES in 1989. The 8-bit music still echoes in my head and I’ll whistle it fondly when I’m in a nice, echoing stairwell.

I also enjoy science fiction, like Star Trek and Doctor Who. The more logic involved, the better. I love magic in fantasy, it’s true, but I prefer when there are limits and it makes sense with connections to science.

Lately, I’ve been diving into computer programming as a means of growing closer to my partner, Kevin. I’ve dabbled in C# and JavaScript, and although it is an overwhelming prospect, I would love to create a series of games based on my books.

When I’m not in the midst of hobbies, friends, and family, I’m teaching. I’ve been a middle school science teacher since 2001 and I love every minute of it. I change up the activities we do every year, keeping things fresh and trying new ways to present details about the structure of the atom and Newton’s Laws of Motion. I’m that wacky teacher who hops across tabletops to demonstrate electrons moving in an ionic bond and who throws sponges around the room to illustrate atoms in the plasma state. Every group of students brings out another side of me and though the curriculum itself doesn’t change much, every year is unique.

About the Author
Stephen J. Wolf is a middle school science teacher with a PhD in science education and a penchant for fantasy books, movies, and video games. Growing up, he loved learning how things worked. When he saw Mr. Wizard's World for the first time, he knew then that science was his place to be. From learning about how fireworks light up with different colors to understanding the mechanics of an acid-base reaction, chemistry and physics became his passion.

Stephen started writing in eighth grade when his English teacher challenged the class to craft three different scenes. One scene focused on a person. A second highlighted a location. And the third detailed an object. In the moment of the quick-fire writing prompts, Wolf linked all three tasks together and created his first short story. The following year he created his first novel, then expanded it to a trilogy, growing as a writer along the way.

With some short stories used in his classes, Wolf communicates a love of reading to his students through creative connections between science and magic. His short story, "A Shocking Journey," teaches the fundamentals of electricity and magnetism, as experienced by a middle school class, through a series of "magical" experiences that allow the students to visualize the concepts. In time, Wolf hopes to develop a series of such stories for teachers to use.

Stephen lives in New York with his partner, Kevin, and their two cats, Merlin and Monty.

Where can we buy the books?
Red Jade Fantasy Book Series: tinyurl.com/redjadeseries
Book 1: Journeys in Kallisor:
tinyurl.com/kallisor 
Book 2: The Shattered Shards: tinyurl.com/shatteredshards 
Book 3: The Assembly: tinyurl.com/rjassembly 
Book 4: The Forgotten Tribe: tinyurl.com/forgottentribe
A Shocking Journey (middle school science fiction to teach concepts of electricity through analogy): tinyurl.com/shockingjourney

Where can we find you online?

No comments:

Post a Comment