Monday, January 9, 2017

Writing Prompt-Ritual

Part of world building is understanding the beliefs and rituals of the people you are creating.
I have always had a fascination with the moon and the draw it has on the human soul. It seems the mythos of monstrosity centers around the full moon. When I worked in hospitals and nursing homes you could always tell when there was a full moon. Patients would be restless and try to get out of bed. There were always more deaths on nights when we had a full moon.
As part of my world building I study the myths behind the moon and the way it interacts with the world. I include moon lore in my writing as a way to honor its pull on the Earth and my heart.
What rituals do you build into your writing?
Include a writing sample.

2 comments:

  1. I write a lot about the battle between good and evil. Within that, I seem to always be coming up with new ways for evil to take form through curses. I've written about conjuring spells and sacrificing rituals, but I don't think I've developed any kind of pattern.

    "The cursed offspring that Marcos-Ivor produces serve him two purposes. Upon their birth, Marcos reveals the essence of his true form to the infants in a dream. If the children cower in fear and cry out in their sleep, Marcos will accept them. The infants that Marcos-Ivor accepts at birth are nursed with his possessed blood and will be raised to carry out his will by possessed minions. If the children do not show fear, Marcos in turn fears their potential strength and discards their bodies. The ones he does not accept are sacrificed so he can collect the power of their innocent blood and youth." ~ Eternal Curse: Battleground. Copyright 2015 Toinette J Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beliefs and rituals are the most interesting things to me about discovering new worlds in fantasy fiction. I've created two moons in the universe for my Frostbite series, starting with A Vision in Crimson (coming soon-more at ladybathoryscloset.blogspot.com). In the sequel that I'm polishing, the two moons come into play in determining funerary rituals, and that acknowledgement of time then becomes politically useful as well. I drew on a couple of things - mostly eastern ideas about moon cycles, and Asian concepts of hauntings associated with violent death. I also incorporated some Native American motifs in the ritual, simple enough things like the importance of the sky and the world "turning over" as a way to describe creation and the life cycle. When something is somewhat recognizable, at least understandable, but still exotic and mysterious, I think those things are delightful.

    ReplyDelete