Monday, January 2, 2017

Symbolism













The butterfly. In addition to being beautiful it holds deep symbolic meaning for me. As a fan of the Hero's Journey and a Christian (again we are talking about symbolism and religion is full of symbolism) I believe in death and rebirth, or resurrection. This concept has become even more relevant in my life due to the failing health of my husband and the loss of some of some people I desperately love.
For me the butterfly represents the cycle of death and rebirth. From an egg a caterpillar emerges. It spends its life eating and preparing for the next incantation. At maturation the caterpillar entombs itself in a chrysalis to transform. the transformation and rebirth process is strange and traumatic. the new-born butterfly actually needs to squeeze itself out of a tiny opening forcing the blood from its engorged body into its wings. If the adult butterfly does not go through this process it will wither and die. The adult butterfly then continues the cycle of life by reproducing.
I love the symbolism of the butterfly and try to work it into my writing whenever possible.
What symbol do you use in your own writing?
And a note: The pictures I am using in the writing prompts are my own. One of my hobbies is photography.