Saturday, July 16, 2016

Eric Martell


·         Author interview questions and answers: Name: Eric Martell usually writing as E. S. Martell

Age: Old enough to know better – do I really have to answer this?

Where are you from: Windermere, Florida

A little about your self i.e. your education Family life etc.: Ph.D. In Psychology, black belt in Tae Kwon Do, jazz guitar player, trained quantum energy healer, Realtor – RE/MAX Hall of Fame, software developer, outdoors enthusiast, father of two attorneys (oops, kind of gave away my age there) and grandfather of 5. Question:Tell us your latest news? In the process of releasing Paradox: On the Sharp Edge of the Blade – a time-travel adventure/romance.

Question: When and why did you begin writing? My first book was written years ago and is happily residing on a closet shelf. I began writing stories again in 2010 after having compiled a book based on a years worth of blog posts.

Question: When did you first consider yourself a writer? That would be maybe tomorrow, or whenever I actually start making enough money with my book sales to cover my writing associated expenses.

Question: What inspired you to write your first book? I had an idea about the Vietnam War that was based on the use of dolphins for anti-scuba diver warfare and it seemed like it would make a good story. Most recently, I was trying to show my daughter how easy it would be to write a book and accidentally ended up with “The Time of the Cat” an alien invasion story that became the first installment of a trilogy.

Question: Do you have a specific writing style? I'm action oriented and try to tell the story as it happens. I sometimes switch perspective from one main character to another. My first three books were written using first person perspective, but I've switched to third person for the last two. I enjoy dealing with the natural world more than large groups of people, and I seem to do a fairly good job of writing from a female perspective – considering I'm a traditional, macho-type guy.

Question: How did you come up with the title? The story comes first. The title is often a struggle, but represents my attempt to put a name to the story.

Question: Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp? All of my books have an undercurrent of personal responsibility for one's own life.

Question: How much of the book is realistic? I do an extensive amount of research on geographical locations, historical facts, anthropology, science, time-travel, weapons, flora and fauna. My hand-to-hand combat scenes are based on personal martial arts experience. Romantic scenes, well, I'll leave that to the reader's imagination.

Question: Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?A combination of both. I believe that all writers allow their own personalities and experiences to leak through into their stories to a certain extent. I don't write about my own experiences precisely, but my attitudes most certainly come through.

Question: What books have most influenced your life most? Too many to list in this space. I read extensively. Science fiction, literature, popular treatises on quantum physics, and spiritual works.

Question: If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor? Stephen King, C. J. Cherryh and Jack Vance. I also admire Christopher Nuttall for his productivity.

Question: What book are you reading now? One of Nuttall's Schooled in Magic series.

Question: Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest? Christopher Nuttall

Question: What are your current projects? I'm currently writing a sequel to “Heart of Fire Time of Ice”, my first time-travel adventure. Some of my readers have expressed a desire to find out what happens next to the main characters of that story.

Question: Name one entity that you feel supported you outside of family members. Various friends have encouraged me to write.

Question: Do you see writing as a career? Not yet, but it is an enjoyable way to relieve stress.

Question: If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book? Not a thing. The story told itself and I didn't have to worry about it.

Question: Do you recall how your interest in writing originated? My most recent decision to write was based on a discussion with my daughter, and also based on the fact that I'd been re-reading some science fiction of the 50's and 60's while telling myself that I could write as well as those authors.

Question: Can you share a little of your current work with us? No title yet. That will come after the story is done.

Question: Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?Only finding the time to sit down and write in the midst of a busy schedule. One has to engage in productive activity that actually pays the bills and that can take away from writing time.

Question: Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work? I love the way Jack Vance uses words and develops his characters.

Question: Who designed the covers? I'm currently using Aleksandra Klepacka, an artist that I found through Freelancer. She does an excellent job of capturing my characters attitudes during a critical point in the story. Each cover represents not only a part of the story, but a critical point in the development of the character's personality.

Question: What was the hardest part of writing your book? Editing is the least pleasant part.

Question: Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it? I learn something with each scene I write. I'm not a natural writer. It has taken a lot of effort for me to change my academic style of writing and learn to become a better story teller.

Question:Do you have any advice for other writers? Sure. Sit down and write. Even if you don't feel like it. Nothing happens until you type a word, then a sentence, then a paragraph, and repeat over and over.

Question: Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers? Ha! Yes. Read my books. Your interest is what keeps me motivated. I write to entertain and I really love it when I know people have enjoyed my stories.

Question: Do you have a blog/website? if so what is it? My author blog/site is DeclanDunham.com (named for the main character in my Gaia Ascendant trilogy.) There are preview sections there for all of my stories, as well as some short stories. I post intermittently whenever I have something I want to share.

Namaste, Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment