Wednesday, June 8, 2016

This week's question

What gives you inspiration for your book(s)?

My inspiration comes from everywhere. Most of the time I get flashes out of nowhere. It comes in my dreams and in the quiet moments of my life.
I don't have very many quiet moments, but I take advantage of every one I get.I use the outline to
When an idea flashes into my mind I grab a notebook and make a few notes. Soon I have a notebook full of scratches and notes and when I have time I sit down with the notes and start organizing them into an outline. The outline becomes my chapter outline and soon it becomes a full-fledged book.
I love the journey each flash of inspiration takes. There's always a few surprises along the way.

Your turn. What inspires you?

4 comments:

  1. My inspiration are my characters. Nameless started from role play, but everyone else has evolved from cameo appearances in his story. If I'm having trouble discovering who's hiding in the shadows, I'll go back and coax them out through role play, but when it comes to writing their stories, they provide the inspiration to continue on.

    Sometimes, I wish they were a little more polite about getting the spotlight, though. I'd rather not be bucked into the brambles as often as I am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For many years, I would cuddle in bed with my girlfriend/wife and we'd tell each other stories, just for fun. Many of them closer to fanfic as we would liberally rip off from the latest TV show, book or movie we'd consumed.

    None of our current books are direct descendants of these stories but the experience we gained over 20 years of hacking plots together is what inspired us to start writing. Trading story ideas and critique back and forth is still what keeps us motivated through the gruelling editing.

    We have several stories outlined that came directly from these night-time sessions that we're eager to write some day. (And no, they are not XXX rated, though there's a definite slant toward the romance genre)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My inspirations tend to come from daydreaming. A wandering mind is a font of ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think my inspiration comes from what I have not seen or what I thought was lacking. I have always been a lover of SciFi and Fantasy. There were characters or scenarios that I wished I could find. When I could not, I created them.

    There are also realities woven within the fabric of my Epic Fantasy novels. We draw from our experiences and histories to develop and cultivate our worlds and characters. Some of those realities are difficult to face. Mine are relayed through different character perspectives while maintaining a constant engaging narrative.

    Reflecting on past events or just daydreaming allows me to “see” a story in my mind. Once that seed is planted, I cultivate the imagery and dialogue to submerse my readers into my world.

    ReplyDelete